Every smart device vendor will take Apple as their teacher and first competitor. However, as we see Huawei has achieved great success in recent year, especially in smart devices area. If you ask me which is the first competitor of Huawei, I would say Samsung.
My opinion is based on several factors:
- The market share, and let’s see the latest Q3 phone market share results of 2019 from Canalys:
Market share leader Samsung shipped 11% more smartphones than it did in the same quarter from last year, and finished Q3 2019 with a volume of 78.9 million devices shipped, increasing its global market share from 20.4% in Q3 2018 to 22.4% in Q3 2019.
Huawei, who maintains its second-place spot behind Samsung, managed even more impressive growth in Q3 2019. It shipped 66.8 million devices, up 29% from Q3 2018. This resulted in Huawei growing its market share from 14.9% in Q3 2018 to 19.0% in Q3 2019. This is all the more impressive considering it was placed on the US Entity List in Q2 2019 and is restricted from installing Google Mobile Services in its overseas phones.
As for Apple, its market share fell to 12.3% in Q3 2019 from 13.4% in Q3 2018. Despite the release of three new iPhone models in Q3 2019, Apple was only able to move 43.5 million units during the quarter compared to 46.9 million from the same period last year.
2. Business is more similiar: as we can see from 2018 financial statements, the consumer devices takes more than 50% percents of both companies. And both companies makes smart devices and business as the main products offers on the websites.
3. Samsung is strong for covering the full chain of electronics, such as CPU, screen panel, memory, etc. Huawei has a strong Chinese market position for the 1.3 billion potential consumers. Because Chinese market is so big, except Huawei, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo can have the courage to compete with the global smart device brands.
My conclusion is that Huawei will have the potential capability to replace the Samsung market place in the future , and become the most iconic global smart devices brand. My reasons are as follows:
- With the prolong Sino-US war, Chinese companies will strength R&D and use the domestic supply chain instead of US, especially Huawei.
- Huawei is found and grow in China, the biggest consumer market will support it to take foreign market share.